Make your own limoncello with this simple recipe. A higher proof vodka will be better at extracting the flavor from the lemons. Mix it up a little bit by substituting other citrus fruits like oranges or grapefruits.
- 750 ml Vodka (100 proof or greater)
- 2 Lemons
- 3 cups | 600 g Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups | 475 ml Water
- 1L Swing Top Bottle
- Funnel with Cone Coffee Filter
Part 1: Infusing The Lemon Flavor
- Peel the lemon, and remove the pith from the peel.
- Cut the lemon peel into thin strips.
- Open the bottle of vodka.
- Add lemon peel until the vodka bottle until the vodka reaches the top of the bottle.
- Recap the bottle and store in a cool dry place. This does not need to be refrigerated. More lemon flavor will be infused the longer this sits. We recommend at least 3 days.
Part 2: Adding The Simple Syrup
- Heat sugar and water in a sauce pan over low-medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Do not over-boil the sugar or allow it caramelize.
- Cool the simple syrup to room temperature.
- Insert funnel with coffee filter into the swing top bottle.
- Strain the vodka into the swing top bottle.
- Remove the coffee filter.
- Add the simple syrup to taste.
- Cap the bottle and allow to site for a few hours.
- Chill well and enjoy.